Friday, December 3, 2010

Final Thoughts

With this being my last blog post of the semester, I figured I should just discuss some thoughts I've had during the course of this class. To begin with, I had no idea how many ethical issues we have in sports today when I first started this class. We basically learned the following:

  • America is fat.
  • Athletes are still doping.
  • Female athletes are starting to look like male athletes.
  • Football might be getting too dangerous.
Of course we went into way more detail than just four bulleted points. But these were the main ideas. Watching Supersize Me showed us the horrible effects of an unhealthy lifestyle. Talking about performance enhancing drugs informed us that unethical behavior is starting to deviate from the norm so much as to athletes are forced to conform. Seeing pictures of Lenda Murphy versus Katie Stam showed us the extremely large range of acceptable physical appearances. And finally, hearing about CTE and the punch drunk syndrome informed us that football has been proven to be awful for one's health in the long run. It is amazing to see what the world of sports is struggling with these days. And we know there will be even more problems in the years to come. 



So the other night I was sitting on my couch, flipping back and forth between the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show and college basketball games. Hello, epiphany. Despite all of these problems in sports today, there are a large number of us that aren't affected by any of it. I'm an athletic female college student who can live in a world where it is acceptable to watch a fashion show and a basketball game in one night. Of course I have opinions about ethical behavior in sports and how things should be done. But in the end, you have to be able to look at the positive sides. 


Sports at all levels today are very competitive, provide entertainment, and provide opportunities for all ages. We should be thankful for what it has given us to this day. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to take this class and learn about what we are dealing with. It will be very interesting to see how everything pans out in the next 50 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment