Thursday, December 2, 2010

Violence Sport - Week 10

Have sports become too violent today that we have been forced to question the ethics of the game? We've gotten to a point where we fight precious animals in order to win bets and become competitive. To me, this is completely ridiculous. How has this become acceptable and how is it appropriate in certain cultures:


Personally, I am a huge fan of Michael Vick (his athletics side, of course). I don't judge his personal actions when I'm cheering for him on Sundays; however, when I think about all of his unethical behavior, I can't help but become less of a fan. It is just ridiculous to me how people can deviate so far from cultural norms. By underconforming, Vick ignored the rules and therefore suffered the consequences.

Recent studies of collegiate football players showed an association between multiple concussions and reduced cognitive performance, prolonged recovery, and the increased likelihood of subsequent concussions. These blood sports and violent behavior violate the ethical principles of beneficence and justice. Sport becomes a form of war and forces you to objectify yourself. It will be interesting to see how much more (or less) violence in sport will become in the next 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment